As I may have mentioned before I love cooking, and I’m always looking for new ideas to inspire me. From “What I Eat in a Day” videos on Youtube, to relatable grocery hauls on Channel Mum and recipe hunting on Yummly, I’m forever on the hunt for ideas that are tasty, healthy and affordable.
Most recently I’ve been watching Iceland haul videos on Channel Mum along with meal prep videos on Youtube. I love how some of them come with recipes, as I’m always looking for new methods to create healthy meals for myself and my family. Students are often not given credit for being capable in the kitchen, so I’d like to be one of the people that dispel that myth by giving you one of my recipes!
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
1 tin of chickpeas
1 tin of kidney beans
1/2 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 small tin of sweetcorn
2 chicken breasts
Lightly salted tortilla chips (as required)
700ml of vegetable stock
Chilli flakes (as required)
Garlic powder (as required)
- Chop up chicken breast into small chunks and put into crockpot.
- Drain chickpeas, sweetcorn and kidney beans before adding to the crockpot.
- Add chopped tomatoes to the crockpot.
- Add a small amount of garlic powder to the crockpot. I used two shakes of the container (I know, such accuracy!) because I only wanted a subtle flavour to come through.
- Add chilli flakes to the crockpot. Now I like a lot of spice, so I added quite a few shakes of the container at this point!
- Mix ingredients in the crockpot together.
- Turn on low for 6-7 hours.
- Serve & enjoy! I like to add tortilla chips on top for an added crunch. I love the Mexican take on croutons that it provides.